Monday, November 8, 2010

Photo Basics Week 3: Composition

I loved learning about composition this week! This is something I've always wanted to know. I need some practice--but I think I did ok, considering my week was a little crazy. So here are some of my pictures. I don't have much to say about them. But I hope you do! I love your feedback. Also, I know that the assignment was for three pictures...but I just couldn't choose.


f/4.5  1/250  ISO:1600

f/5.0  1/320  ISO:3200

f/4.0  1/100  ISO:3200

f/4.5  1/160  ISO:3200

f/4.0  1/160  ISO:3200

f/5.0  1/160  ISO:3200

Hope you all have a great week! Sorry I posted this so late...I had some internet issues.

3 comments:

  1. Heather! These are so fun! I'm so glad that you're exciting about composition! Its really really fun, isn't it?

    shot#1. Great use of lines that lead to your subject, simplicity, color (love the blue next to the red.)

    shot #2. Wahoo! What drama! Love the compositional element of Contrast and lighting! Love that he is looking away, and love that I can see the rain stains on the window! This one's my favorite! The only thing I might try for this one to make it even stronger, would be the placement of your subject. The way its framed right now we have the beam that comes out of his head. If you kept him there, but instead framed for rule of thirds so the window portion to the left couldn't be seen, but more window portion on the right was seen, I think this would be even stronger... perhaps this would have been more easily executed as a horizontal image instead of vertical? But seriously, love this image A LOT LOT LOT!

    Bus Series #3. Hooray for school buses! They make such great backgrounds with their strong yellow color, the great use of black lines, the sentiment of school years...

    I love that your subject has the red shirt on that pops against the yellow and is a great complimentary color to pair together. Love your angle on the final shot... MAJOR influence of those leading lines, and the vanishing point that results as well. This was a brilliant angle to shoot from!

    Nice Work! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the school bus shots - the way the lines on the bus bring your eye to the boy and his red shirt. Great use of color too. I also like the way you framed him in the bus doorway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The school bus shots are so cool! What fun compositions. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete