Sunday, October 24, 2010

Photo Basics Week One: Aperture

So, I'm in this awesome photo class, right? I love it. But I've decided that it would be better if I started taking my camera everywhere with me. Because if I don't, I forget that I have homework that needs to be done. And that it's probably not best to wait until the last minute to do that homework, because it will probably be raining. Because that's what happens in Cache Valley. It's lovely and sunny the first few days. And then it rains all weekend. Good thing I had a brightly polka-dotted umbrella and a cute sister who loves me. :)

This is my "singular focus" picture. I definitely like the singular focus aperture best for this--nicely blurred background, focus all on her.

f/4.5  1/60  ISO: 400

f/8.0  1/50  ISO: 800

f/22.0  1/25  ISO: 3200
Next up is the "who cares?" aperture picture. Don't you love my mom's sweet decorations? The only way you can really see a difference in the apertures is the "sunburst" effect coming from the very bright little light in the pumpkin. Believe it or not, I actually like the "who cares?" aperture best.

f/4.5  1/60  ISO: 1600

f/8.0  1/15  ISO:1600

f/16.0  1/15  ISO: 3200


And last of all, we have the "storytelling" aperture. My sister excels at being dramatic. 

f/5.6  1/100  ISO: 400


f/8.0  1/60  ISO: 400

f/22.0  1/40  ISO: 3200

And that's pretty much it. I noticed that metering off of different objects really does make a difference. I spent plenty of time trying to figure out what I was metering off of that was causing me to over or under expose my picture. I'm so grateful for a patient subject. I can also see a serious difference between the different aperture categories. Some of these pictures make it a little hard to tell what the difference is, but when I see it full screen, I can tell.

Also, can I just say how weird it is to post pictures without even introducing them to photoshop? Can't wait to hear your feedback!



3 comments:

  1. Your compositions are so fun...and you're lucky to have such a great model in your sister. The pops of color of the umbrella and the flower - lovely. I really like the "still life" Halloween photos - especially with the sunburst effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I really enjoyed the pictures of your sister. The umbrella was a fun touch. I also like the sharpness of the light coming from the pumpkins mouth. I didn't use Photoshop on my pictures but I did use the program that came with my camera to lighten up a few pictures. Reading your blog maybe I shouldn't have. I admire that your pictures turned out so well untouched. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather!

    Great job! I'm glad that you are seeing the difference that aperture makes to the images! Isn't aperture fun?!

    First Set: Love the fun umbrella! And I like the lower aperture best as well :) To make that effect even more dramatic, try getting even closer to your subject, and notice how that will increase the low depth effect as well.
    I like your composition too! I like that you don't show the entire umbrella, but just enough to let us know what it is to make it part of hte story of your image.

    Second set: Fun still life! I think the indoor lighting adds to the mood of the photos a lot !

    Star bursts are one of my favorite tricks. Definitely more apparent the higher you take the aperture. I actually like the f22 aperture best on this one! Maybe because the exposure is just a little darker, creating even more mood and emphasizing the starburst even more.

    Final Set: Love the drama of your sister! She looks like a super fun girl! Keep her around for lots of photo assignments! ha ha!

    Yes, its probably a little harder to see a difference small screen on these images, but like you said, enlarging them you'll definitely begin to see a difference that is more apparent. The further away you are from your subject the less difference you'll see in depth--especially if there isn't a lot of depth behind. These images do have a degree of depth still, but not a whole huge distance like pull back landscape shots would have (which is when you'd likely use the storytelling images the most--)

    Nice work friend! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete